The GJW sponsored Winter Season did not continue at Leigh & Lowton Sailing Club on Sunday the 13th January 2013 due to the abandonment of the second weekend of the GJW Tipsy Icicle Winter Series. A chilly day with a force zero greeted the sailors who arrived to take part in the second weekend of the series. The race teams for the day consisted of Peter Baldwin on the water and Anne & Helen in the galley.
The PRO searched the Flash all morning looking for the breeze but was unsuccessful and therefore raised the Answering Pennant at 11:40hrs. The fleets were held onshore until the PRO made his final decision to abandon the day’s racing at around 13:00hrs.
There was another great turnout for round 2 but there’s nothing we can do about the weather. The Club would however like to say a big thank you to all the visitors and members for making the effort of coming to the Club despite the horrible forecast. See you all on 20th January 2013 for round three – but keep your eye on the forecast as it looks like we’ve got a cold week coming up. Please visit www.llsc.org.uk for the series results.
87 boats took part last weekend in the first day of the 2013 series. For Club members entry is free, for visitors there are the options to pay by the day or by the whole series. In addition to the entry fee the support being provided from GJW is allowing the Club to invest in the service it is providing to the competitors.
The Club is running the Winter Series which is:
- providing visitors and members with a seamless service which allows them to enjoy the sailing and not be burdened with any administration or organisation
- investing in a professional principal race officer
- providing bespoke rescue cover to safety cover the whole fleet
- making available free wifi in the clubhouse
- providing a full day’s activity for visitors from £4 per person per day
- using the improvements made to the foreshore, dinghy park and secure boat storage all in a locked compound
- providing a subsidised galley which is providing some of the best food on the NW sailing circuit
- has a fully stocked bar and a new lounge extension fully heated for the end of the day relaxation and social debriefs
- providing a reception desk offering a warm welcome, advice and an introduction to those new to the Club
Behind the scenes the Club members work hard to support the winter sailing. Each week 7 members volunteer their time to spend long days on the water including 2 trained coxes, 2 safety assistants, 3 assistant ODs on Flash and a dedicated Beach Master. Also behind the scenes members support the competitive nature of our winter sailing programme by writing weekly race reports, publishing “same day” results and generally assisting visitors when at the Club.
GJW offers one of the most comprehensive boat insurance policies on the market, at a very competitive price. For a quote in under 30 seconds, visit, www.gjwdirect.co.uk/dinghy